ACS President's Report to Council - September 1996
- Access to Information in the Networked Nation,
ACS SA Branch, 27 March 1996:
The purpose of the visit was to talk
to the Annual General Meeting of the South
Australian Branch of the ACS. The ACS SA Branch
Chair also arranged meetings with the
SA Department of Information Industries and
Electronic Data Systems Also I was contacted by and met with Ralph Lenoard from the
Teleteaching'96 program committee.
- Australian Computers in Education Conference , 12 April, 1996:
I talked to Australian Computers in Education Conference
, 9 - 12 April, 1996 (ACEC'96) at the
National Convention Centre in Canberra. I was asked to introduce Sandra Wills, as an ACS
sponsored keynote speaker for the conference. Also I volunteered to give a short impromptu talk
to close the conference. Along the way I attended a board meeting of
ACCE, discussed some of the arrangements
for Teleteaching'96 at
IFIP96 and was photographed with two stuffed toys.
- Canberra 1997: world information capital,
Keynote Address, ACS Canberra Branch Conference, 20 April 1996:
Last year I chaired the ACS Canberra Branch conference on the topic of Internet and multimedia.
This year I took a back seat and intended to just attend. However 36 hours before the event I was
asked to give the keynote talk, because the planned speaker was not available.
In my talk I proposed moving the federal bureaucracy onto the Internet
and to set up an industry in Canberra to support it. This would be to meet the Government's
demand for cost savings and create a new industry for Canberra.
- Cyber Tour of the world of the Future via the Internet,
Australian Science Festival, 21 April 1996:
I took the audience will be taken on a world tour via the Internet, using a video projector for images and
sound, transmitted live from around the world.
- ACS WA Visit, May 1996:
The original purpose of the visit was to
chair the Annual General Meeting of the ACS.Also I:
- talked to studentsat Kerry Smith, Lecturer, at the Department of Information Studies,
- Curtin University of TechnologyVisited Dennis Moore, Head of the School of Computing and chair of the WA Government's Information Policy Council, was interviewed at Radio 6NR Perth,
- Gave a workshop,
- Met with Bjorn Gillgern, Director, State Telecommunications Management Unit, WA Government.
- Talked on Accessing the Networked Nation, 5:30pm, 24 May 1996, Perth
- Chaired an ACS Management Committee meeting,
- Issued a media release about SEARCC98, 24th May 1996
- Issued an Open Letter to the Commonwealth and State Attorneys
General, 14 June 1996: This was in response to concerns from ACS members over Internet legislation
being prepared for consideration by a July meeting of the Committee of
- ACS Welcomes ABA Internet Report, 7 July 1996:
Issued a media release on the ABA Internet Report.
- A community vision of the Internet, 3:30pm, 16 July 1996:
Talked at the seminar
INTERNET OPPORTUNITIES FOR AGRICULTURAL PROFESSIONALS.
- Media Release: ACS President Backs Calls for Local WWW Consortium Office, 16 July 1996:
Went to a talk by Professor Jim Miller, of MIT's Lab for Computer Sciences, today met with
senior officials from federal agencies and the IT industry.
- Databases, the Internet and Society, 7 August 1996 , Canberra:
Opened the 1996 Annual Conference
Oracle User Group - ACT and issued a media release on World Wide
Web A Potential Disaster.
- Government in Cyberspace, 15 August 1996:
This was a one hour seminar to CIRCIT in Melbourne.
- Sent photos from The Australian Alps (Snowy Mountains) and a
hot air balloon over Canberra "Live" on the Internet to promote IFIP96.